Friday, December 14, 2007

November 28, 2007

Live from Russia. This morning I went into my kitchen for breakfast. We haven’t had any cok (read: juice) in the fridge for a while now, and I think my mom doesn’t often buy it because she makes her own, and she has tons in glass jars in the entryway closet/pantry/laundry room. So last night I got really excited because I saw her bring one of her big jars into the kitchen. Yes! Juice! So this morning I went into the kitchen and poured some cok into my cup. For some reason the jar and lid were really sticky, and the lid was more fool-proof than others I’ve seen. I realized after I had a good centimeter or more of cok in my cup that actually…it was honey. Oops! This is not the first time I’ve mistaken honey for another breakfast beverage. A while ago it was in an old instant coffee container, and my mom’s boyfriend really wanted me to understand that it was honey, and not coffee, and I couldn’t figure out why he was talking about bees. I just want to know how to make coffee with this new liquid stuff! Eventually I realized that I wasn’t holding coffee, and I felt pretty stupid. But come on- first thing in the morning you spring honey on a girl in the guise of a coffee jar? Not fair. So what did I do with my cup of honey? I poured super hot water on it, and seeped last nights herbal tea bag in it, and am now drinking very sweet tea at 8:30 in the morning. There are worse ways to start your day. Like, for instance, writing the paper that I must write, or studying for my final. For now, I love honey in big jars.

Even though I was more than ready to go home last week and the week before, now that I have four or five days- days- left in Nizhnii, I really don’t want to leave. I don’t want to say good-bye to everyone and everything that I’ve come to love here.

No comments: